(See the linky below to visit other participants' blogs.)
You're up before dawn on a Saturday when the doorbell rings. You haven't brewed your coffee so you wonder if you imagined the sound. Plonking the half-filled carafe in the sink, you go to the front door and cautiously swing it open. No one there. As you cast your eyes to the ground, you see a parcel addressed to you ... from you.
You scoop it up and haul it inside, sensing something legitimate despite the extreme oddness of the situation. Carefully, you pry it open. Inside is a shoebox -- sent from ten years in the future -- and it's filled with items you have sent yourself.
What's in it?
1. A bill from Harvard University for $250,000 - the cost of my older son's tuition
2. A bill from the jewelry store for the cost of 11 pairs of diamond earrings - one for each of my younger son's girlfriends
3 A torn-off cover of a book listing me as the author. On the back is a note in my handwriting that says "No cheating. Now go write it."
4. Pictures of my family and we're all happy, healthy, and having fun
5. Plane tickets and gift certificates for a 14-day vacation to Australia and New Zealand and a note saying "Bring your laptop. Trust me."
1. A copy of my future best-selling trilogy with a note:
"Read these. You wrote them. So don't feel bad doing what I'm about to tell you to do. Type them up, send the attached query to agents. Get published now. Save yourself the dozen manuscripts that you'll just plop on a shelf. Really, do you need more junk to dust? Besides, you need the money. Buy the camper you want now. Enjoy the camping years while the kids are still young."
2. A bottle of really great aged wine.
3. A copy of my diploma letting me know I will finally finish my final two credits and get my master's degree. Oh, and the thesis I no longer need to write to get it. (Phew. Love that saved time and brain power! Thanks, future me!)
4. A picture of my future abs. Cool, I really will lose that baby weight! It just takes more than a year...or, wait, did I finally give up and get plastic surgery? It's hard to tell. Great pic!
5. A key.