4.05.2017

#IWSG April...It's always the same complaint from me....

I'm seriously like a broken record on these days. I always end up blaming time for everything. Looks like I'm not giving advice, but I'll take some!



The IWSG posts the first Wednesday of each month. We answer an optional question or share insecurities, successes and advice. It's a blog hop. Click the image above to find the other participating blogs.


April 5 Question: Have you taken advantage of the annual A to Z Challenge in terms of marketing, networking, publicity for your book? What were the results?

The awesome co-hosts for the April 5 posting of the IWSG will be Christopher D. Votey, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Fundy Blue, and Chrys Fey!


Years ago, Erica and I participated in the A to Z Challenge, but then we fell off the face of the blogosphere and I'm just recently trying to bring us back. I hope Erica joins me again some day!!! Erica, I miss you! At the time, we had nothing to promote, but man, we loved getting to know everyone!

So...no.  But I look forward to learning more about how this all works!

Is it too late to join in this year? I think that it would do me wonders to blog every day and to do so in terms of my series. The creative look into my world and characters would be a ton of fun. Even if it's too late, maybe I'll try to catch up anyway for the fun of it!  I think I have a little fear of blogging. What do I say? Who will care? What should my topic be? So...the A to Z challenge kind of takes care of that part for me. It would help me conquer my fear and help me establish a blogging routine.

It would also help me with reaching another goal. One of my biggest goals right now that keeps getting put on the back burner is making and maintaining connections. I need to establish a routine that adds time in my schedule every day for blogging and visiting other blogs. Huge question: How much time do you spend doing these things each day?

The way I handle my to-do list is that I go full force with the top item until it is complete, then move onto the next in the same way. Meaning, I don't know how to make time each day for other priorities. If I have a manuscript due, then that's ALL I work on until it's done. I can't critique for others, blog, visit blogs, read novels for enjoyment, etc. I can only focus on one thing (for the most part) at a time. Mainly, I think this is because I only have short amounts of time outside of work and parenting to devote to my writing and publishing life. I just turned a manuscript into my editor, so the next priority was getting my third quarter report cards finished (due today). Though, I did take a night to read a book I'd begun forever ago. Next up: critiquing for critique partners who worked hard to get feedback to me before my deadline. After I spend the next 3-5 days critiquing, my editor will have my ms back and I'll work on revisions for the next round of edits. While that's being critiqued, I'll need to finalize my cover and work on getting it up for sale. I can only focus on one thing per day. Advice for me?

Anyways, one of these months I'll post something informative and helpful! But this was not the month.

Tell me, please, how much time each day/week do you devote to writing blog posts and visiting other blogs?

Have a wonderful month. It's finally starting to warm up here in Wisconsin. It's always a refreshing time of year. I'm looking forward to summer and it's only two months away!

Christy




13 comments:

  1. I'm trying to get back in the habit, too, but obviously not hard enough. A to Z is great for the writing habit. I just cant get around like I usef to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With everyone slowing down on blogging, I've cut back to mostly once a week blogging and probably going to be more firm on that. I do check everyday for bloggers that I follow and am going to try to connect with a few more through the IWSG. I want to get on Facebook more instead of blogging because people are just coming and going too much in blogging for me. You might stick with it more if you blog less but consistently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great advice. So I should pick a day and stick with it.

      Delete
  3. LOL! Like you had time to even THINK about the A to Z challenge this year! *chuckles* There was a time when I spent an hour a day on blogging. Then I gravitated to a schedule and only spent a couple hours on post days. Then I narrowed it down further. And further. Do I even want to admit how long I spend now? Yikes. Twice a month, I spend 8 hours connecting and commenting. Beyond that, I've got about 3 hours in post writing/communicating with guests/coordinating schedules for the future, etc. So there you go. That's the break down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, just realized after posting my last two comments that I'm signed in as my pen name and not Christy... Sorry. Not trying to be confusing! Thank you so much! That is helpful information, and WOW even with cutting down on your blog/coordinating/connecting time, I'm impressed! (Christy)

      Delete
    2. It's definitely a lot of time, but it's where my primary writing platform is, and I've been very blessed for my time investment when it's publication time. And beyond.

      Delete
  4. There's no official list, so you can jump in anytime. Start posting and then add your daily link in the comments at the A to Z Blog.
    Do you really want to know how much time I devote? Daily it's two to four hours. Today, it will be closer to ten or eleven...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh...I may just do that! 300 words each day and five blogs. I want to at least give it a try! And, YES, I really did want to know...and OH MY GOSH! That's more than I ever imagined. WOW. You're amazing. Thanks for all your contributions to the blogging world! (Christy)

      Delete
  5. Since there's no sign up list, you can hop in whatever day you'd like. :D That's what's nice about not having a list and new people finding out about the Challenge after it's started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Now...to decide how to go about organizing my post ideas...

      Delete
  6. It's probably not too late to jump in with A-Z. I blog typically once a month, so I try to visit blogs and comment and such during that week I post. Then I'll spend a little time a few days a week visiting blogs. Just a few minutes here and there catching up with people I didn't get to the previous days/weeks. Maybe set up a list and visit a few blogs a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! Once a month is all I've been doing too, thanks to IWSG...but my posts are not well done. I'd like to write something informational and helpful...I've just got nothing. Thanks!

      Delete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.