2.03.2011

Paying it Forward

(christy is writing/editing nonstop lately. you're stuck with erica. sorry. but also, yay! christy's working! and erica loves links!)

Thanks to Shelli at Market My Words, today I'm remembering to thank someone who was completely instrumental in my life as a reader/writer. Yes, Shelli is recommending this in conjunction to her contest, but also because she really believes in it and we all should, too.

Someone inspired you. Probably many someones. It could have been a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago. For me, it was almost a lifetime ago.

My parents were young when they got married; after all, Mom graduated high school a mere 2 weeks earlier. Two years later, they had me. That's when having a big family really comes in handy! You see, my mom has 10 siblings and my dad has 5. And us cousins spent tons of time together through the years. Even hours away (some of us), we traded off weeks at each other's houses and everywhere we turned, people were supporting us. It was a wonderful way to grow up. It still is.

One aunt of mine (and my sister's, of course) had no children. She's my mom's twin sister and has been unwaveringly supportive of everything I've ever done (and continues to provide that for my kids). The funny thing is, when I was 3, she convinced my mom that all 3-year-olds should read and that I was behind because I barely knew how to write my name.

Yeah, as a preschool teacher now, I laugh at that.

But as a 3-year-old, I became determined. I learned those darn 26 letters with their darn accompanying 850 sounds (okay, not so many, but it seems like that when you're three) and, before we knew it, I was reading.

I don't recommend forcing your 3-year-old to work on letter worksheets for hours on end. Luckily, that's not how she did it. This woman, with no children, no college education, and no background in teaching, instilled in me a love for books that has never left. And for that, I will be forever thankful. Today I thank Aunt Linda. (except for that one time in high school when I had the flu and stayed at her house and she forced me to watch the movie Gone with the Wind. I still hold a grudge for that). Trust me, for every "no" I listed before, there's 10 "yes" answers. Yes, she's beautiful. Yes, she's smart. Yes, she's fun. Yes...(the list goes on. I wish she could read it, but, she doesn't have a computer. yes, I will print [most] of this out and send it to her).

So, how about you? Who can you thank? Was it someone who put a story idea in your head? A friend or critique partner who told you that you could do it? A mentor? Or, like me, someone you've known since the moment you were born?

17 comments:

  1. My parents were also very young when I was born, but my mum learned quickly that PBS was a safe way to get an hour to herself in the morning! ;) So I learned how to read & write thanks to the efforts of Sesame Street & The Electric Company. And Little House, because I was desperate to read the books that went with my favourite TV show.

    After that it sort of snowballed, with one elementary teacher after another finding out that I liked to read & write. The encouragement more or less stopped in the higher grades, but it's back now that I'm at university. So, basically, everybody! Except those really annoying high school English teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My manly man is very supportive. I have him to thank for my publications- he believed in me and got me back in the writing world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erica. That was a wonderful post that made me think back to when I started writing. My family was similar—I have one sister and tons of cousins and we lived in each others' pockets quite a bit, which was great. My writing inspiration actually came from my grandfather, an immigrant with an incredible, positive attitude who loved America, made the most of his abilities (used his electronics knowledge to help build a dam, taught himself to play the mandolin and to type in his 60s and 70s, carried on active correspondence with his state representatives, etc.) I remember him sitting around with my mother of an afternoon at his farmhouse, with a glass of beer, some stinky cheese and long talks about philosophy and politics (think Rrrrooosevelt, with an Italian rolled 'r.') My first attempt at a novel was about him. Thanks for this post, I loved it, and am so glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Erica,

    Here is the link to mine.... http://writing-art-and-design.blogspot.com/2011/02/pay-it-foward-entry-and-dedication.html

    You will find someone you know on there... I was so sad she missed it.


    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Su - I was in half-day kindergarten when my sister was 2, so when I got home, mom would put Steph down for a nap and I got to watch Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers.

    Summer - don't forget to tell him!

    Linda - thanks for finding us!

    Michael - I'm a horrible blogging friend this week! I promise we'll get better over the weekend.
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Erica! I love that you have a close bond with your aunt and that she's been supportive of you. And wow - reading at 3? That's awesome! It's wonderful to have family that supports your dreams. Happy Thursday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! That is the sweetest story ever--and now you're writing! Does Aunt Linda know? What does she think??? love this~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story and fabulous inspiration! I owe my thanks for inspiration to my wonderful husband who keeps pushing me on and telling me I can do it. But I also owe thanks to my wonderful crit sisters at http://critiquesisterscorner.blogspot.com/ Linda and Karlene. They encourage and inspire me every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Supportive family members are the best. My husband's been a huge part of things from that perspective, but someone else has really made me believe I can succeed at writing. I'll share mine tomorrow on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! The love you feel for your aunt is glittering in every word you wrote. I guess it always does. I taught myself to read while my Mum read school books to my brother who is three years older than me, and didn't my teacher hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. erica, i thank YOU! you were my first virutal friend. the ONLY person who reached out to me. you brought me into this whole writing world and you continue to hold my hand. (sorry to be mushy) and now you're even posting for me! i WILL get through these edits/revisions before abna closes!!!! thanks for helping me get there! christy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so sweet! I love all these pay it forward posts I've been seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you became determined at such a young age! Bravo to this wonderful woman who instilled such a powerful love of books in you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. teehee--I love it! "She's so behind!" *snort* You know, it just occurred to me we might be related... Is Olsen married or maiden? My maternal line goes to a big Olsen family sitting on the Iowa/Minnesota border...Then again, just before the civil war, Olsen was one of only 3 names they GAVE to Norwegians coming into the US. I give my original reading credit to Mrs. Burnham, my 4th grade teacher--the one who wouldn't let me put myself in the low reading group... I struggled. She said I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post! I thank my younger sister, Noelle, for her camaraderie along this crazy journey I'm on. She's a writer too, and our short stories were recently pubbed in the same anthology. (The editor still doesn't know we're related!) Noelle and I talk for hours at a time on the phone, about writing, our works-in-progress, comma usage -- you name it. It's a real gift and blessing to share something you're so passionate about with a sister!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful story! And speaks to the irreplaceable value of high expectations for kids, and faith that they can achieve them. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mine wasn't just one thing that I can remember. I just remember always loving to read and write. I'm sure it was because my mom loved to read, read to us every night (I remember when we "graduated" to chapter books, and she read Tom Sawyer at night) and the fact that she's a librarian. My daughter loves to read and write- she writes little books all the time.

    What a great story Erica!

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.