8.24.2012

Hello Beautiful!

It's the beginning of the school year. So, you know, we have to do our job that actually pays us real money and also allow it to suck all of the creative energy we have and funnel it into arranging our classrooms and writing lesson plans.

That doesn't mean we don't still love all of you.

It's not you, it's us.

I leave you with a story and hope that we run into each other again soon: A teacher I've worked with for several years has been waiting (and waiting and waiting) to adopt. His wife is unable to conceive naturally and his family has some unfortunate genetic abnormalities that have prevented them from wanting to try in-vitro. Several times over the past two years, they have been at the cusp of parenthood, only to lose the child at the last moment. Last year they had a phone conversation with their birth mother during her labor, received by email pictures of their newborn son, and were able to choose his name and purchase their plane tickets. Four hours later, they were informed she would keep the baby.

The grief process was lengthy, especially for his wife.

At the end of the school year, he expressed a very hesitant hope that they may be welcoming a new family member into their home over the summer.

Today I got to meet his children, a 4-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl. They are beautiful and wonderful and smart and charming and so very excited to have a forever home and parents who cherish them.

God is good. Let us remember our blessings - we'd love for you to share them in the comments.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome that your friend's adoption went through. I'm an adoptive mom too so I know the wait before which is so frustrating.

    Even though my company is closing in about two years, I'm grateful I have a job now, a great family, a daughter going through the teenage years well, and a blog and blogger friends I love. Good luck with the start of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I had a friend in a similar situation. He and his wife had to fly to Russia to find a baby after trying for years to adopt one here. They're both stable people with good jobs. Ugh, the stories he told me of the hoops they make you jump through to adopt in Russia. It was worth it for them, though. Now the little Russian they flew home with when he was 8 mos old is a happy, healthy 12-yr old American boy who enjoys fishing and hanging out with his dad. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's the nicest story. I'm glad they have their family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad there's a happy ending. I can't imagine how stressful it must be to try to adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joyous post today ladies... I am so touched. How thrilling for this wonderful new family to find love and happiness.

    I thank God every day for my blessings. Mainly for my health to do my daily tasks without too much of a struggle. I am also grateful for the many sincere and loving friends I have in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story of your friend brought tears to my eyes! Wow. What lucky parents, and definitely, what lucky children. Good luck with the new school year! Our kids don't start until the day after Labor Day, so we're hanging on to these final days of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. The part about the mom deciding to keep the baby was like a knife in the gut. :p So hard. But it's amazing that they have two wonderful children now! What an ultimately great story. :o)

    Here's wishing you a fantastic school year! Miss you guys~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally just got choked up reading that. I am so glad they finally got their family;)
    Hope you both have awesome school years.

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.