10.04.2010

Mealtime Madness Monday and a Farewell to Summer Tribute to Grillin'

Yes, the days are shorter and cooler.  The leaves are turning their customary autumnal hues.  People on the street are wearing a little more green and gold and Monday's mood is determined by the football game the previous day or the anticipaton of a win or loss that evening. 

This is fall in Wisconsin.

Soon, grilling on my deck with a glass of wine in my hand will be a memory I cherish as I look out at my snow covered deck, unable to push the door open against the frigid drifts.

So, tonight, I (Christy) give you a farewell to summer grillin' recipe.  One of my favorites.  (And no, it's not Wisconsin brats.  And I won't even include any cheese, although my father-in-law makes the absolute best cheese curds in his factory.  Maybe one day one of you lucky followers will get some in the mail!)

Grilled Salmon with Soy Sauce

filet of salmon (1 lb.)
1/2-1 cup cup soy sauce
tsp. lemon juice
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
1 clove garlic (minced)

place filet in a tray of aluminum foil
mix ingredients in a bowl and spread evenly over salmon
place on grill (medium heat) until salmon is flaky

serve with:

4-6 medium-large red potatoes (diced)
zuccini (diced)
carrots (diced)
onion (diced)
green and red pepper (diced)
place all vegetables in aluminum foil

season with:
salt (or seasoning salt)
pepper
garlic (small amount)
parsley flakes
several tablespoons of butter (solid squares)

fold foil enclosing all vegetables, grill on medium heat for an hour (or until potatoes are soft)
(okay, can't do it...add shredded cheddar cheese before serving)

And try it with a great red wine:  Malbec.  This may be a completely inappropriate pairing for salmon.  I don't know.  But I had a glass over the weekend and it's my new fave.  Enjoy!

What are your favorite grillin' recipes?

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. This week, I'm going to grill tilapia. I usually do salt and pepper and maybe Old Bay. Then I use corn tortillas and fill them with the fish, pico di gallo, and guacamole.

    Now the rain has to stop so I can grill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great one, Christy, can't wait to try it (and I'll pass it onto my sister in Alaska, she'll love it!). As I said last week, my husband hunts, so we grill a lot of venison roast - butterfly it first, add jalapenos and onions, and baste with butter/margarine, put on indirect heat for 1 1/2 hours (we have one of those huge smoker grills, but you can do it on a regular one with lower heat (less air flow). Thanks for the idea!

    Oh, and Theresa - you have rain, we have frost (but thankfully, no s-word yet!).
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe...no, erica, THANK YOU for the idea! Thanks for sharing some grillin' recipes with me ladies. I hope you don't mind, but I added them to my Monday Menu tab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    This a quick fly-by to say welcome aboard the "Romancing The Blog" blog-hop!

    Shall pop your blogfest poster up on mine and see if it drums any extra participants. There is another blogfest same day, though, but different themes often attract different entrants. Good luck with it, and hope to see you around lots on blogland!

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.