Because we're in Madison, Wisconsin on a rainy day?
Or, maybe not. But we are at a great Writing Institute! (So you should be! But we'll share everything with you so it'll be almost like you were here!)
It's official. We've met!
We have no pics as of yet, but we'll share as soon as we do.
So far we've met published authors, editors, agents, aspiring authors and one weird guy.
We've learned, we've networked, we've
This may not be the most brilliant post we've ever written, but we're having fun writing it--together!
Before we leave you without any info whatsoever, here's some insight into what the agents we saw here are looking for.
CONFERENCE INFO: PART ONE
- Can I sell it? (I don't have to fall in love with it. I just have to know it will sell.)
- READ WEBSITES AND CRITERIA before querying. KNOW WHAT I REP.
- I need to connect to the text (w/in the first three chapters). There needs to be aesthetic appeal and it needs to be marketable.
- Connections are important. We want to rep you for your 2nd, 3rd, etc novels,...we want long-term relationships.
- VOICE! across books. Make your author voice recognizable.
- CONFERENCES, FACE-TO-FACE, LIVE PITCH SESSIONS!
- IF you query, get their name right. DON'T CC all agents. NO pink or fancy font.
Dear Mr. Allen (woman),
My last agent died. How is your health?
- You need a great voice and great writing.
- By the time the first book in the trend is published, the trend is already over.
- If you do write a trendy book, tell us how it's different.
- Sweet, back to the basics romances are making a come back.
And maybe even a pic of your fave blog partners!
I read this book while eating breakfasts in college. It was my "enjoyable reading time". Me. A bowl of Frosted Flakes. Sitting at my desk with my reading lamp on while my roommate slept off her nighttime...adventures. (All before rushing down the BIG EAU CLAIRE HILL to my 8 o'clock French class.)
I also loved this movie and remember watching it while stringing cranberries for our Christmas tree.
In addition, author Lori Devoti referred to Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara several times during our Characters: Beyond Goal, Motivation and Conflict session today. (Stay tuned for more info/links on that!)