6.30.2012

My 90 Day Novel and Me

For the first time in a (longish) while, I'm writing.  Really, really writing. 

I can come up with all sorts of excuses-- valid, truthful excuses--whenI'm not accomplishing any writing.  When I'm not into my story, I can sit for three hours and accomplish nada. I'm distracted by kids, the person walking their dog outside, the food in the pantry, my dog in the other room, wondering what time it is, twitter, my empty inbox, wondering if anyone else posted comments on "my agent's" querytracker page, etc. You get the idea.

However, last night I got turned onto a new idea (for an old ms).  Today, I was able to walk by, stop at my computer and type a word here, and a sentence there, and I realized that when I want to, when I really, really want to, I can write any time anywhere.  Today, I was able to write a paragraph in seconds (practically) and ignore everything else going on around me.  There, I said it.  The awful truth.  I'm coming clean.

Excuses are rubbish. (Mine are, anyway.)  

I can tune out everyone else, and I can tune out my own excuses.

My 90 Day Novel and I haven't been getting on so very well.  I believe I'm 20 days in with 8 days to show for it.  I think my idea has potential.  I've been reading Cassandre Clare's Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince and she's gotten me all hyped up and excited and ready to write the images that come to mind for my (underwater, deep sea) setting.  So, I get to my laptop, flex my fingers and check my homework for the day...and check my email, and check twitter...and check my email, and get kids snacks and water, and check email, and type an email to erica, type and email to kari,....write for ten minutes on the homework for the day...and OH, it's time to feed the baby.  Writing time for the day = over.  I grumble that nursing takes all my time.  The kids don't let me write.  My house is a mess.  I'm too busy. I'll never get a third novel written.  Grumble.  Grumble.  Bah humbug.

Then, I realized WOC was coming up and got all depressed that I don't have a novel ready for it.    Nothing to query.  Boo hoo. 

And I decided I'm ready to rewrite my second novel.  The one I sent 20-30 queries out for, got two requests for, but really didn't have enough of a plot to write a decent query for.  So, using the structure questions from the 90 Day Novel, I'm ready to add in and rearrange the plot elements that were lacking from it.  I'm so reinvigorated and ready to run with it!

It's so much fun to be into a novel and to want to write instead of doing the dozens of other (Internet) activities my laptop has to offer.  You know, because then I actually write and put words and sentences and paragraphs on pages of paper!  It's not just me wanting to write every time I'm not and imagining what I'll write when I "can find the time".  I actually WRITE when I have a few minutes to plop down to.

SO.  HAVE YOU HAD ANY SUCCESS WITH A COMPLETE PLOT AND CHARACTER ARC OVERHAUL?

I'm about to....

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I have been very good about editing my beast of an epic, but there's this other book.

    I wrote the first draft. It wasn't that good because my rough drafts never are. So I rewrote it. 40 k words in and the day after Christmas, I lost. Every. Single. Word.

    So I want to start again. My goal at the beginning of the year was that I'd finish it by 30 September. It's July and I haven't even opened the rough draft once.

    I have to start. But I keep having excuses not to write. Like other ideas keep popping up. Or I have to visit blogs I haven't seen in a while...

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, slap me, but what's this 90 Day Novel thingy? Sounds just like something I need. ;D Glad to hear you're writing again. I think visiting that old novel might be just what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, me, me! *said jumping up and down while raising hand*

    Shelby's a good gal - glad you're making her better. :)
    (the ever alliterative) erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on stopping the excuses! That's something I've got to work on. No matter what, I can still write. I can always wake up an extra hour earlier, go to bed an hour later, whatever. There's always time to write. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate it when blogger eats my comment before it's posted. Grrr.

    I can identify with everything in this post. And like you I'm back into the writing after a long time-wasting break.

    I've never attempted a complete manuscript overhaul though. You're a brave woman!

    I think the only way to get the word count on the rise is to put writing FIRST before everything else. Maybe not all the time, but certainly when you're in the middle of a project. Let the washing up pile beside the sink. Let the laundry pile up. In fact, revel in those things - as a representation of the fact that you're prioritising something which is more important to you; writing.

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.