5.15.2012

The Cover Heard 'Round the World

So, I'm sure most of you saw last week's Time Magazine cover photo of the mom breastfeeding her almost-4-year-old child.

I'm not going to talk about that.

Instead, I want to talk a little about the caption next to the picture. It screamed out in giant letters:

ARE YOU MOM ENOUGH?

My first thought was "Oh no, they didn't!" My second thought was "Holy crap, they did."

What, exactly, does "enough" mean? It means something different to everyone and at the same time, it means nothing. Consider these statements:

1. Anyone who's bullied on the playground isn't cool enough.

2. The kid who got a C on his project didn't try hard enough.

3. The boy picked last (or second, for that matter) for kickball team isn't athletic enough.

4. The girl who was raped didn't fight hard enough.

5. If you don't write a chapter a day, you aren't enough of a real writer to make it.

6. When you want a moment alone, you don't love your family enough.

7. People living in poverty aren't smart enough.

Am I Mom enough? Woman enough? Wife enough? Teacher enough? Athletic enough? Pretty enough? Smart enough? Funny enough?

Yes. No. Maybe?

See what I mean? Any question that includes the word enough is impossible to answer. Only one thing about TCHRtW really pissed me off and it was that. What about you?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
 



6 comments:

  1. Man, you totally nailed this one! I completely agree. Funnier, is that I had the exact reaction as you when I first saw it--the caption. I asked the same question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME. That was exactly my reaction! In fact, I posted on my FB wall, "Why is TIME magazine being so aggressive with me/Moms?" And got like 33 comments to this effect. We agreed that we're sick of the media trying to make women fight. From BC to staying at home v. working, to this. Turds. You are so right--Enough is Enough! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, enough is enough! *high-five*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yours a lot more than I like time. Enough is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree! I got ticked off at the caption as well. They should have thought that one through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a truly excellent post!
    "enough" is never going to mean the same thing to different people...

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.