1. silence. find a time when no one else is around.
2. time. set aside a specific time to
3. music. you need at least one great song that really
(note: brainstorming time should NOT take place during the time you've set up as your writing time. this time is solely for furthering your novel. brainstorming should happen while driving, while showering, while running, while pulling your kids in the wagon, while reading aloud to your class at school, while explaining to your boss why you deleted a file accidentally during your lunch break, or while
4. share. tell people you're competing in a marathon. don't let them interrupt your
5. ms word. say goodbye to the internet for a few days. stretch every time you complete
6. goals and rewards. to help you along, set up a time for
7. just start. stop rereading your entire ms every time you sit down. really? you don't remember at least the gist of what's there? it hasn't changed. just start where you left off. you can edit later. way, way later.
8. motivation. okay, if you must check the internet, use it for writing motivation. check out us, of course, but NaNoWriMo's pep talks might help you get motivated, too. They're here.
9. underscore. if you can't think of a word you want or remember that character's name from back in chapter 2 or the type of car your mc's mom drives, just underscore and leave it blank. you can ponder and figure it out later. don't reread to find the info right then. write. (although, uh, just a tip, maybe, just maybe that character shouldn't be there in the first place?)
10. ultimate goals. sit back in your chair and remember why you write. to tell a story? to make money? to be able to quit your job and write/run/parent/etc. whenever you want? guess what? you can't achieve those goals unless you write. so get typing!
additional helpful tip: skip all words ending in ly. this will get you to the end of your novel faster and keep your editing to a minimum. no, it won't rack up your word count, BUT should those words be there in the first place? (trust us, it pains christy to say this) (so so true *tears up*)