1.03.2011

Hot Monday Mealtime Madness

If you know me in real life, you know I love the Milwaukee Brewers. I grew up an hour from County Stadium and got to see all the glory of the early '80s (Robin Yount and Paul Molitor and so many more) even if I was too young to know I was seeing history. I went to games during both playoff-worthy seasons, including their only pennant year. Then I moved to the west side of the state, County Stadium got demolished and Miller Park went up. The cable station that carried the games wasn't available in my area. The team (excuse me for saying this) tanked.

Then something wonderful happened. Our local tiny cable company figured out a way to bring me cable through my phone line and I got to watch the games again. Yes, I take credit for the Brewer's 2008 playoff appearance. It was all me. I even got to get my picture taken with their mascot on my birthday last year. That's how important I am to them (ahem).

So, for our first day of "All Things Hot" I bring you my Milwaukee Brewers. (er, a few - it's offseason and trades aren't done)

                                       
Right fielder Corey Hart                                                                      Left fielder Ryan Braun

                    
Ace pitcher Yovani Gallardo                                                            Second baseman Ricky Weeks



So, you can imagine how happy I was when my Brewers Facebook Fan Club (yes, that's the true sign of a baseball geek fan) gave me this link to their Create a Concession Stand Contest.

This is what I would love to snack on while writing at the next game: Meatballs. Really. They're super easy to make (think frozen, but sure, make your own if you want to, there's tons of recipes out there - but we're busy people, so frozen is fine!). They don't require utensils, just stick it with a toothpick or scewer them corndog-style (no dishes, yippee). You can coat them in a sauce or dip them in ketchup or marinara. At your house, you can throw them in a crock pot and forget about them until their delicious scent makes your mouth water. When you order them at the ball game, you'll make everyone around you want to order them, too, making both the team owners and the beef farmers happy. :)

Here's some sauce ideas (just mix ingredients together and pour over meatballs as they cook) (this is to make about 2 dozen appetizer-sized meatballs) (if you're really in a hurry, just buy some sauce and dump!):

Smoky BBQ: 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup minced garlic, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup onion, 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke flavoring.

Sweet and Sour: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup cider vinegar (not apple cider), 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp.cornstarch, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp. soy sauce (make sure meatballs at least simmer to dissolve the cornstarch)

Hawiian Sauce: (this one you should cook up in a saucepan until it boils and starts to thicken - stir or whisk constantly) 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, juice from a can of pineapple chunks, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1Tbsp. soy sauce. When you add to meatballs, throw in the pineapple chunks and some green pepper (optional).

Cajun/Spicy: 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (use above recipe or buy bottled), 3/4 cup peach or apricot preserves, 2 tsp. hot pepper sauce, 3 tsp. Cajun seasoning, 1/3 cup minced onion.

Oh, and what to drink with it? Well, it isn't called Miller Park for nothing. I recommend Leinie's Honey Weiss, if you can find it in your area - they're owned by Miller and brewed about 40 miles north of where I live.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm, I can just smell those meatballs. Love the new blog look, feels very warm! Happy New Year :)

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I love the new blog look too. I wish I had a fireplace!! I'll just have to come here and stare at yours. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound super easy and Delish!

    You are so right about not having the time to cook these days, especially when we are working on our writing and blogging. lol

    Sounds like you have a blast at the games....

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that sounds great! Now I'm hungry! A baseball fan eh? I'm a big football fan myself (the American kind). We must all have something to cheer for! Thanks for the great snack ideas for tonight's game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm...thanks for making me fantasize about munching on meatballs coupled with pictures of sexy athletes...need a shower...and some meatballs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.... are you the sauce queen because it appears you are!!!! How yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for not noticing (er, not commenting) that the captions are all screwed up. Grr - they looked fine in draft form!

    Hey, I figured most people would be thinking about dieting in the new year? Why not post about meatballs and yummy sauces instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I noticed, but didn't try to fix it. Great partner I am. However, Nathan and I are super excited to try the sauces. Only on wings, not meatballs. Super Bowl Party!!!!! christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new layout girls!! OMG, meatballs sound so good right now. I'll have to do the crockpot thing- I've never even thought of that. I think the crockpot and I need to become better friends this year. I need to make it a goal rather than going out to eat all the time.

    I grew up in Maryland watching the Baltimore Orioles with Cal Ripkin (he has the same birthday as me ;p) I know where you're coming from although I don't really keep up with baseball much anymore. Only to be loyal to the Orioles (and Yankees because my parents are from New Jersey).

    ReplyDelete

Stay and chat with us! Share your thoughts.